History of Green Bay's Parks

Fisk Park

Wilbur Fisk's Gift

In the summer of 1922, Wilbur D. Fisk deeded to the City of Green Bay 12½ acres between Reed and Dousman Streets adjacent to West High School in memory of his son, Hiram Cornell Fisk, who died of influenza during WWII. This land was at all times to be kept and used as a public park and playground for children … and shall at all times be open to the use of the inhabitants of the city of Green Bay, particularly the smaller children. The original grant included lots 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20, with the exception of houses already built on sublots along Dousman Street. 1 (This is roughly 951 to 1031 Dousman Street extending south to Reed Street. 2) Fisk set aside $5,000 in a Trust Fund to be used for maintenance and development of the park. 3

Park Expansion

In 1934, a legal document abolishing the Trust relinquished the trust funds plus interest to the City Treasurer to be kept for the sole use of purchasing additional vacant land adjacent to said Fisk Park. 4 This was administered by the Park Board and the property was eventually expanded to almost 18 acres. In 1938 a petition signed by 156 West Side property owners argued that land was not being purchased quickly enough. 5 Through the next 35 years, several existing houses were purchased and either moved or demolished and other property, not yet developed, was added to the park. 6 7

In 1970, the city purchased 1037 Dousman Street, the easternmost of a group of houses remaining along the northern border of the park; the house will be rented until we can acquire the rest of the property at a reasonable price and we hope it will not be any longer than ten years. 8 Twenty years later, no further purchases had been made. Spurred by the suggestion of a neighbor who was on the board of Neighborhood Housing Services, the property was returned to private ownership in 1992. 68 Acquisition of the remaining properties from 1037 to 1051 Dousman Street had been proposed again in 1972 9 and in 2004 the Park Committee considered a request from Alderman [Christopher] Wery to evaluate acquiring the parcels bordering Fisk Park on Dousman. 10 The house at 240 Gray Street was available in 1999, but houses on each side limited the value of this lot for park use and these other properties were considered to[o] costly. 11 Nevertheless, the topic of additional expansion continues to come up sporadically. 12

Development and Controversy

A lagoon was constructed in the park prior to 1938. 13 Sometime later, a shelter house was constructed under the WPA Program. [missing]

Twenty-nine residents on Reed and Gray Streets, including many who had built expensive homes on Reed Street, objected by petition when they heard that a ball diamond was to be constructed in the western portion of the park, arguing that the change would mean that the area would cease to be a park and become a playground and that this would reduce the value of all property in or near the park area. 14

Two city council members from the area of Fisk Park wrote a joint letter on April 13, 1950, to bring to the attention of the Park Board the desirability of filling in the lagoon or pond because, they said, it contains stagnant water, is a breeding place for mosquitoes and insects, and is a hazard to children. 15 This request was approved a few days later 16 but the decision faced a whirlwind of community opposition. A neighbor wrote that the lagoon was one of the finest things in the Green Bay park system.supporting Boat sailing, frog catching, and other juvenile sports. 17 Eighteen neighborhood children aged 4 to 12¾ wrote that it is a beautiful thing and would be a crime if destroyed by men. 18 A local artist claimed the lagoon was one of the most beautiful things in this city. 19 The decision was reversed, for the time being. 20

The controversy was not ended so easily, however. In 1954, a new campaign was conducted to close the lagoon. One parent called the lagoon an awful health hazard and claimed that her son was treated for what the doctor called swimmers itch. 21 Another letter said, this pond is only a germ breede[r] and is no good for the children, please close it up. 22 The original letter writer continued her campaign, calling the lagoon an unprotected public nuisance. 23 In response to the health questions, the Health Commissioner reported that because of coliform bacteria the lagoon is considered unsafe for swimming. However, the commisioner wrote, The danger of contracting typhoid, shigellosis or polio, as a result of wading in the Lagoon is negligible. Contradicting the neighbor's claim, he said there is no swimmers' itch in the Lagoon and the lagoon presented no general health menace. 24 The Park Board therefore decided against filling in the lagoon but voted to increase efforts to keep it clean. 25 Nevertheless, by March of 1955 another council member was writing against the lagoon, saying it was an eysore to the public and a nuisance to parents of children. 26 Eventually, probably in 1958, the lagoon was filled in. [missing]

A wading pool was constructed just west of the shelter house. [missing] After many years of service, this was replaced in 2002 by a splashpad with a variety of user-activated sprays of water. 27 Other improvements continued. In 1960, gas heat was installed at the shelter house 28 and in 1966 space was constructed to store equipment for softball and hockey. 29 The playground area (which was then located east of the path from O'Brien Street to Northern Avenue) was upgraded with new play equipment in 1967. 30 The playground was later completely reconstructed farther west, with separate play areas for younger and older children. [missing] In 1978, lights were installed at the western tennis courts (near the swimming pool). 31 Also in 1978, a comprehensive review of the park's trees was performed, 32 and 1982 saw major improvements to the trees and other plants throughout the park. 33 Also in 1982 was a renovation of the shelter house. 34

The city council approved establishing a Neighborhood Policing Satellite Office at Fisk Park Shelter in 2000. [missing] This use continued until a dedicated facility was created on Shawano Avenue for this purpose.

Fisk Park and West High School

Given the proximity of West High School, it is not surprising that the school regularly uses park land for school functions. On April 26, 1926, the Board of Park Commissioners granted the West High Athletic Association permission to use 40 feet west of the athletic field for school contests. [missing]

Wilbur Fisk seems to have been supportive of the high school's needs while insisting that the original intent for the park be honored. In 1934, Fisk offered an agreement allowing sale of some land to West High School providing that the City of Green Bay purchase an equal area of property between the westerly limits of the present Fisk Park and Gray Street … within six (6) months. 35 While that particular proposal was not adopted, cooperation between the school and the park continued. 36

In 1976, the school district proposed building a new gym for West High School north of the existing gym and encroaching into the park, but the request was withdrawn after reviewing the conditions of the original gift. 37 In 1977-1978 a study was made of possible locations for a new stadium for the city. One of the sites examined was the existing West High School stadium with additional land from Fisk Park. 38 Although this idea also raised legal questions, 39 the stadium development went ahead as a joint project of the city and school district. 40 The Board of Education designated the principal of West High School to be the facility manager and agreed that the school maintenance staff would handle maintenance of the scoreboard. 41 In September 1979, the new stadium was dedicated and named in honor of Dr. Clarence Del Marcelle (because of bequest used in paying for the project). 42 Zoll Stone Center, Inc., donated a large limestone boulder to hold the dedication plaque. 43 Kellogg-Citizens National Bank (now Associated Bank) donated the scoreboard 44 which was used until it was replaced by the school district in 2011. 44a

In order to use part of Fisk's bequest, the new stadium was developed as a city park facility, with the city council voting to extend the total area of the park and provide additional facilities for use by all the citizens of Green Bay, including the small children. The park will be under the general control of the Board of Park Commissioners, and operated and maintained by the School District. However, the facility will be available to all residents on a regular basis and it is intended that the field will be used for planned track and field events for grade school children. 45 Soon after the stadium was finished, Councilman Earl (Mike) Miller formally put the request of some residents for access to the running track. Superintendent Timothy Quinn replied that the district was pleased to honor the request of Alderman Miller to open the West High School track facilities to the use of community residents for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. The one stipulation … is that the Park and Recreation Department provide on-site supervision. 46

In 1997 a company then known as Airadigm Communications was given permission to replace the north light tower on the west side of Del Marcelle Stadium with a monopole for cell phone communications. 47 Late in 2000, TeleCorp PCS asked to replace the pole at the southwest corner in a like manner for placement of digital telephone equipment 48 and approval of this request was given early in 2001.

A new tennis complex built in 2005 and 2006 placed seven courts along Dousman Street just west of Del Marcelle Stadium. 49 The project's $217,058.33 cost was split equally between the school district and the city. 50 The new courts replaced a set of two tennis courts in the same part of the park and another set of three courts which had been nestled east of the swimming pool and behind the residences along Dousman Street, as well as horseshoe courts. 51

In 2007, the city and School District combined efforts to improve the practice football field through a KaBOOM grant. The city and school district each funded $22,500 of the cost while school supporters added $5,000 from fundraising and provided volunteers. [missing]

Fisk Pool

In 1944, the city was seriously thinking about the need to build swimming pools for its citizens. Earlier, everyone swam in the bay at Bay Beach Park. Enos Colburn, president of the Board of Park Commissioners, wrote of the need for a new approach:

With the closing of the Beach for swimmers at Bay Beach Park on account of continuous pollution of the waters of the Bay and with no hope that this condition can be cleared up for many years to come, it has become necessary for us to devote some thought to the establishment of artifical swimming pools in Green Bay. 52

Colburn's 1944 letter was addressed to the school board in the hope of sharing costs for an indoor pool considering … the swimming season is not more than ten weeks.for an outdoor facility. 53 That approach did not bear fruit at the time, but support for building swimming pools grew. In 1948, a city-wide referendum approved bonding to construct outdoor pools at Fisk and Joannes Parks. 54

The plan for a swimming pool on the west end of Fisk Park inspired some controversy. A petition was presented against building the pool at the planned location signed by 74 nearby residents (although some of the names were later crossed off); they cited property values, noise, and parking. 55 The petitioners suggested that a location at the east end would be less disruptive. That promoted a response pointing out that those arguments apply, of course, to the east end.and asking that the decision be based on the best interests of the whole city. 56 A public hearing was held on June 28, 1948, and another petition of 158 residents and taxpayers in the FISK PARK area asked that the new pool be located in Fisk Park as originally planned. 57 The park committee of the city council reported that they were completely satisfied that a very large majority of those in attendance at the hearing were in favor of the west end location and also that the parking problem can be solved. 58

Bids for the construction work were solicited during 1949, but the city was unhappy with the costs and re-bid the work. 59 It wasn't until December that the park board asked the council to accept the bids and proceed with construction. 60 Construction got a good start in 1950; by March the contractor reported that concrete work in the Fisk Park bathhouse basement is now completed.allowing mechanical work to start. 61 But by June there was widespread dissatisfaction with the slow progress of the work. 62 Ecentually, construction was completed and the swimming pool was dedicated on August 9, 1950. 63

The changing rooms were renovated in 1990. 64 In addition, the original oil boilers were replaced with natural gas boilers and the oil tank removed; this led to an extensive removal of contaminated soil which continued to 1993 at considerable cost. 65

Despite the continuing maintenance, by 2001 the pool had nearly reached the end of its useful life. Due to structural issues within the pool itself, and considering the demands of newer codes and standards, a consultant suggested that the best option is to replace 'everything' outside the pool building. … The cost could easily be $500,000. 66 Fisk Pool closed in 2003 at the end of the season, by which time the estimated cost had risen to $3,000,000. 69

The city council approved building a new aquatic facility and in August of 2005 the firm Aquatica was hired as designer. However, the council also required that the community provide $500,000 of private funding; this inspired a flurry of fundraising activities including T-shirt sales and city leaders jumping into an ice-covered diving well. When Dick Resch donated $250,000 of the amount at the end of 2005, the facility was named the Resch Aquatic Center. 67

2007 - The Resch Aquatic Center opened with a very successful first season. It has a bather load capacity of 833 people. The pool basin is approximately 13,000 sq. ft. The pool basin is an odd shape but the approximate dimensions are 225 feet long by 75 feet wide. The facility cost was approximately $3.2 million. Of that total, approximately $500,000 was funded through donations.


1 Copy of quitclaim deed from Wilbur D. Fisk to City of Green Bay (page 32, volume 160 of deeds) dated July 14, 1922. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
2 Copy of newspaper article, October 24, 1932. (Presumed to be Green Bay Press-Gazette.) No page number included on copy. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
3 The agreement establishing the trust is not in the PRF files. The trust is, however, mentioned explicitly in the deed, the newspaper article about the gift, and the agreement terminating the trust. (See notes 1, 2, and 4.)
4 Indenture dated August 30, 1934, terminating the trust and transferring funds to the city; copy of letter from BLP [B.L. Parker] to William Huybrecht dated August 6, 1932, indicating Fisk's satisfaction with city administration and his willingness to terminate the trust; copy of resolution by Mayor and Council, July 18, 1933, accepting the transfer of trust funds. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
5 Copy of letter from Fred Leicht dated August 8, 1938 (on Northern Transportation Company letterhead). PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
6 Copies of correspondence and deeds in PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
7 Records in PRF file, Fisk Park.
8 Copy of minutes of Finance Committee for meeting of August 25, 1970. The quotation is from the presentation by Chet Miller to the committee. The offer price was $10,000. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park 1959-1980.
9 Proposed Acquisition - Fisk Park, dated February, 1972. PRF file, Fisk Park.
Also see handwritten notes about lots bordering the park dated 9-8-66. PRF file, Fisk Park.
10 Copy of report (to city council) of Park Committee meeting on July 1, 2004. PRF file, Fisk Park.
11 Handwritten note dated 3/23/99: 204 Gray St   Park Com not interested   Other property to[o] costly PRF file, Fisk Park.
12 Copy of email from Jim Robertson to Russ Toth dated February 6, 2007, about acquiring the Gray Street properties: It has been discussed but there are no firm plans to purchase those properties. PRF file, Fisk Park.
13 The lagoon is visible in aerial photography from 1938. Brown County Land Information System, http://maps.gis.co.brown.wi.us/geoprime/, downloaded November 18, 2010.
14 Letter and petition to Green Bay Park Board. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958. The signatories indicated addresses ranging from 1015 to 1096 Reed Street and from 122 to 217 Gray Street.
15 Copy of letter from councilmen Sanger B. Powers and Leslie Andrews to Richard Meister, President of the Board of Park Commissioners, dated April 13, 1950. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
16 Copy of letter from R.O. Meister to Francis Euclid, City Engineer, dated April 17, 1950, stating that the Park Board voted to go on record to fill in the lagoon. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
17 Letter from Peter M. Platten of 1021 Reed Street to the Park Board, dated April 29, 1950. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
18 Letter from Jane Niles, Roger Carter, et al. (18 children), enclosed with the Platten letter. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
19 Letter from Agnes Wainwright, Curator of Art at the Neville Museum and President of the Green Bay Art Colony, to the Park Board, dated April 29, 1950. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
20 Resolution of the Park Board, May 1, 1950, to hold in abeyance the execution of their original action. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
21 Copy of a notarized letter from Mrs. Pat Maloney to the Mayor and Council, dated June 9, 1954. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
22 Copy of letter dated June 14, 1954, missing any identification of the writer. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
23 Copy of undated letter from Mrs. Maloney (apparently in the fall). PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
24 Letter from F. Urban, M.D., acting Health Commissioner, to Board of Park Commissioners, dated July 22, 1954. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
25 Notes from Park Board meeting in October, 1954. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
26 Letter from councilman Edward Vanark to the Common Council, dated March 18, 1955. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
27 Geo. M. Hougard & Sons, Inc., plan dated February 11, 2002; Warranty, Six Parks Splash Pads, noting substantial completion of work, established as May 20th, 2002. PRF file, Splash-Play As-Builts & Construction Notes.
28 Gas Space Heating Permit, Wisconsin Public Service Corporation, dated April 20, 1960. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
29 Copy of memo from Vernon Kreiser, Director of Parks and Recreation, to Francis J. Euclide, Director of Public Works, dated March 4, 1966, outlining building plans for 1966; copy of minutes of finance committee, dated October 25, 1966, recommending transfer of funds to cover bids which were higher than expected. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
30 Plan for new play equipment hand dated 8-11-67. PRF file, Fisk Park.
31 Various project documents. PRF file, Fisk Park.
32 Plan of Tree Locations hand dated 7-28-78. PRF file, Fisk Park.
33 Plans, notes, specifications, inventory of plant health. PRF file, Fisk Park Plant Renewal 1982.
34 Copies of plans dated November 10, 1982, by Surplice Assoc. Inc., Architects & Engineers. PRF file, Fisk Shelter.
35 Unsigned agreement by Wilbur D. Fisk, Mary Fisk Newton, and B.L. Parker, dated 1934. A hand-written notation indicates the agreement is void. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958. (The parties named seem to be the trustees of the Fisk Park development trust fund.)
36 For example, the high school's physical education classes have long used the park for outdoor activities. Another example of cooperation is shown in the joint disposition of the property at 959 Dousman Street (off the end of Harvard Street). Recorded on a school district Purchase Order sale of house at 959 Dousman St with one third of the price going to the park. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1922-1958.
37 Letter from J.D. McKay, attorney for Joint School District No. 1, to Board of Park Commissioners. The letter requests the park board to release that portion of Fisk Park as indicated in the drawing. a preliminary site plan is included with the letter. A hand-written note says, Request withdrawn by Dr. M.A. Grant on 11-22-76 (Grant was the school superintendent.) PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
38 Analysis of potential stadium sites by Green Bay–Brown County Planning Commission, dated February, 1978. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
39 Copy of letter from Mayor Michael Monfils to Mrs. Earl E. Fisk, dated May 15, 1978, summarizing earler communication. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
40 Copy of letter from Merrill Grant, Superintendent, to Jim Hennig, President of the park board, dated July 12, 1978, agreeing to cooperative planning and management of the new stadium facility; copy of letter from Richard Dietz, City Attorney, to Chet Miller, Director of the park department, also dated July 12, 1978, itemizing the necessary steps toward a Del Marcelle Stadium. copy of letter from Chet Miller to Richard Dietz, dated July 17, 1978, reporting that those recommended steps had been formally adopted. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
41 Report of the actions of the school board meeting of August 27, 1979. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
Copy of agreement with school district on maintenance of scoreboard. PRF file, Fisk - Del Marcelle Stadium.
42 Souvenir program dated September 14, 1979. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
Unsigned letter from City Attorney to Finance Committee, dated June 14, 1954. This letter explains that there was a bequest left by one Clarence Del Marcelle for stadium purposes. The city was at the time considering applying this money to the new City Stadium (later called Lambeau Field) but learned that the City does not receive the residue of the estate until the last survivor has passed away. The ages of the survivors [in 1954] range from 55 to 76 years of age. The report of the trustees shows the residue of the estate as being $235,901.46. PRF file, Park Areas: Perkins Park (thru 1962).
43 Copy of letter from Chet Miller to James Renard of Zoll Stone, dated September 18, 1979, acknowledging the donation. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
44 Copy of letter from John P. Rose of Kellogg-Citizens National Bank to Chet Miller, Director of parks and recreation, dated August 17, 1979, offering the donation of a scoreboard. Copy of resolution by the city council, dated September 19, 1979, accepting the gift of the scoreboard. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
44a Green Bay Board of Education, Education Connections district newsletter, Summer/Fall 2011. (No page numbers.)
The total amount raised at the Green Bay Packers … 2011 Tailgate Tour at East High School on May 14, 2011, was $46,046 for the four high schools to replace aging scoreboards.
45 Copy of letter from Richard Dietz, city attorney, to Attorney Richard C. Surplice, Surplice and Gould, dated July 28, 1978. PRF file, Fisk - Del Marcelle Stadium.
See copy of request to combine tax parcels for Fisk Park. PRF file, Fisk - Del Marcelle Stadium. See also the tax records for 1058 Reed Street (parcel 5-1147) available at http://www.public.applications.co.brown.wi.us/treas/landrecordssearch/entryform.asp.
The boundary between school and park property was shown at the west edge of the stadium facility on a Park & Recreation Department plan for changes to the playing fields in east portion of the park, dated January 25, 1967, and a copy of a letter from Chet Miller to James G. Coniff of the Wisconsin Telephone Company, dated October 31, 1977, states, Fisk Park … starts at a line just off the western edge of the track surrounding the football field. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
46 Letter from Timothy Quinn, Superintendent of Schools, to Paul Janquart, City Clerk, dated June 24, 1980. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park, 1959-1980.
47 Copy of signed and sealed map of the lease/easement along the west side of the stadium by Craig A. Keach, Registered Land Surveyor, dated July 2, 1997. PRF file, Fisk - Del Marcelle Stadium.
Copy of Park Commission agenda for January 9, 2001, saying the the original lease is for 5 years with four 5-year automatic renewal options each increasing the renewal fee the the five year term by 20%. The original monthly fee paid to the City was $700. PRF file, Fisk Park.
A handwritten note, attached to communications from 2010 concerning antenna installation, indicates that the city had accepted ownership of the first monopole in return for reduced payments. PRF file, Fisk - Del Marcelle Stadium.
48 Letter from Richard L. Melvin, Leasing Manger, Whalen Company Inc., Representing TeleCorp PCS, to Doug Daul, City Clerk, dated December 12, 2000. PRF file, Fisk Park.
49 Copy signed plans and specifications by Department of Public Works Engineering Division, dated July 15, 2005. PRF file, Fisk Tennis Complex - 2005 CD/Bond/School.
50 Copy faxed agreement between City of Green Bay and Green Bay Area Public School District, dated August 19, 2005. providing for 50% cost sharing; copy of letter from Dan Ditscheit to Bob Fuhr, Green Bay School District, dated October 27, 2006; copy of check from school district for $108,529.16, dated November 6, 2006. PRF file, Fisk Tennis Complex - 2005 CD/Bond/School.
51 Proposed Demolition Plan dated April, 2005. PRF file, Fisk Tennis Complex - 2005 CD/Bond/School.
52 Letter from Enos Colburn, president, Board of Park Commissioners, to Board of Education, dated August 14, 1944. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
53 Ibid.
54 Certified copy of resolution of Board of Park Commissioners, dated April 14, 1948, requesting issuance of the bonds inasmuch as the voters of the City of Green Bay did, at referendum, approve issuance of general obligation bonds. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
55 Undated petition, listing four specific concerns: 1. It will definitely lower residential property values. 2. Parking of cars will create nuisance. 3. An uncontrolled disturbance will prevail late in the evening. 4. It is contrary to the promise … given property holders … by the late Enos Colburn …. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
Point 4 is a reference to a letter from Colburn, to Mrs. Fred Leicht, dated April 19, 1945, in response to an earlier petition opposing rumors that a baseball field was being planned for the west end of the park. Colburn wrote the Board does not approve [of the ball field] and agrees the we should retain the larger west portion of the park for a beauty spot. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
56 Letter from M.E. Davis, Sr., to Board of Park Commissioners, dated June 9, 1948, on behalf of unnamed residents living near the east end of the park. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction. (Davis was an attorney but it isn't clear that he was officially representing the residents.)
57 Copy of the text of the petition with notation of the number of signatories, received for the hearing of June 28, 1948. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
58 Copy of letter from the park committee to the Mayor and Council, dated July 6, 1948. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
59 Copy of letter from Board of Park Commissioners, R.O. Meister, president, to Mayor and Council, dated August 1, 1949, outlining the bidding history. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
60 Copy of letter from Board of Park Commissioners, R.O. Meister, president, to petition the Council to instruct the Board of Public Works to let contracts. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
61 George P. Baker, vice president, Baker Construction Company, to Clarence Jahn of Foeller, Schober, Berners, Safford & Jahn, Architects, dated March 22, 1950. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
62 Copy of letter from the architect to George F. Reeke Company, dated June 28, 1950, citing unacceptable progress in the work; copy of response from Reeke to architect, dated 29 June, 1950, blaming delayed delivery of pipe and claiming that August 15 would be about the earliest completion date possible; letter from Clifford Centen, city clerk, dated July 21, 1950, to Park Board reporting the request of the Council to take such steps as may be necessary so that the pool may be opened for use on August 1st. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction.
63 Copy of draft program for dedication ceremony planned for August 9, 1950. PRF file, Swimming Pools: Fisk & Joannes Construction. This draft includes numerous hand-written alterations.
The park department also owns a shovel used by E.J. Perkins in the groundbreaking ceremonies for both Fisk and Joannes Pools. Phone messages and notes indicate the shovel was donated by Perkins' son in 1993. See also the history of Joannes Park.
64 Preliminary renovation plans dated May 22, 1989, with hand-written notes; notes from meetings with architect; copy of bid summary by Berners-Schober Associates, Inc., for Fisk Park Pool Building Renovation. dated February 6, 1990. PRF file, Fisk Pool & Changing Areas.
65 Copies of invoices to install two natural gas boilers and remove two underground oil tanks at Fisk and Joannes with the amount of $17,000; also an internal summary of the project dated February, 1992, showing a total cost at Fisk Park of $39,910.12. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park 1981 - .
66 Memo from Keith Wilhelm, Park Superintendent, to Bill Landvatter, Director of Parks, Recreation, and Forestry, reporting an informal visit to Fisk Pool by Tom Carrico from Oelwein, Iowa. PRF file, Fisk Pool & Changing Areas.
67 Alderman Christopher Wery's Fisk Pool web page, http://c.wery.tripod.com/id3.html, downloaded January 6, 2010.
Copy of letter from attorney Gerald C. Condon, Jr., to Kenneth Strmiska of the Greater Green Bay Community Foundation, dated May 24, 2006, confirming the Resch donation. Christopher Wery's mayoral campaign website http://weryformayor.com/images/album/fisk-pool/fisk-donor-dick-resch.jpg, downloaded January 31, 2010.
68 Copy of letter from Delores Dorsey to Mayor and Common Council dated October 30, 1991.
Copy of warranty deed, City of Green Bay to Neighborhood Housing Services of Green Bay, Inc., dated May 20, 1992. The selling price was $13,000. PRF file, Park Areas: Fisk Park 1981 - .
69 Copies of newspaper clippings: Plans in the works to save Fisk Pool, Green Bay Press-Gazette, August 21, 2003; Fisk residents want pool to remain open, Green Bay Press-Gazette, September 10, 2003. Christopher Wery's mayoral campaign website http://weryformayor.com/wery-album-fisk-pool.html, downloaded January 31, 2010.

Only annotated statements have been verified. Any other historical statements are unverified and based on personal knowledge or informal notes kept by the Green Bay Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department.
Last update: July, 2013
Last major update: February, 2011
Email: webmaster