Leicht Transfer & Storage Company donated the 2.59 acres for the park. Russell Leicht requested the park be named Leicht Memorial Park. The Park Committee and Council approved the name July 10 and 17, 2001 respectively. A committee consisting of citizens, Park staff and Ald. Dan Haefs was formed to make recommendations for the development of the park. On January 13 and 20, 2004 respectively, the Park Committee and Common Council approved the City entering into a 10-year lease with Fred Nast of Western Lime & Cement Co. for 4.66 acres adjacent to the north of Leicht Memorial Park to be used as a festival park. The annual rent equaled the yearly taxes.
2004 - The City received $600,000 from the Georgia-Pacific settlement, and the City entered into an agreement with SmithGroup JJR to initiate park development with this funding.
2006 - Leicht Memorial Park Special Event Guidelines were approved, and special events started taking place that summer with Bayfest, Kids’ Day and Tall Ships Festival. The Tall Ships Festival brought in 16 tall ships and thousands of visitors to the downtown.
2008 - The Leadership Green Bay group donated the Zachary Taylor statue. Before becoming the 12th President of the United States, Zachary Taylor served as commandant of Fort Howard for nearly three years beginning in the spring of 1817. Fort Howard was approximately in the location of Leicht Memorial Park.
Park staff began a program to control the goose population with the use of dogs. Owners were scheduled to bring their dogs on leashes to chase off the geese.