This was one of the four public squares donated by John J. Astor through his agents in the fur company, Ramsay Crooks and Robert Stuart, in 1835 when it was platted as the Town of Astor just south of the rival town known as Navarino and later Green Bay.
To commemorate this 100-year old gift, a large stone marker was put in by the Board of Park Commissioners in 1935 on Monroe Ave.
In 1960, the Historical Building Commission asked that the City purchase the Moravian church to the south and move it into the park. This was turned down and later moved to Heritage State Park.
This passive park has been used for art and music events, and in some years, the First United Methodist Church across the street put in a living nativity tableau before Christmas.