History of Green Bay's Parks

The ball diamond was improved in 1973 by the Lions West Side Little League; see Perkins Park history.

Chappell Recreation Center

The original school built on the present site burned down in 1921 and was rebuilt in 1922 at 130 N. Fisk Street.

1949 - The Board of Park Commissioners petitioned the Common Council to turn over the Chappell building after a new school was constructed and opened at 205 N. Fisk Street. After this was approved and some renovation work was done, it was used by the Community Theater and other groups such as scouts, churches, and the Green Bay Day Nursery. Over the years, the Department programmed there for art classes, leather craft classes, bridge classes, Friday night dance classes, teen dramatics, accordion lessons, fly tying classes, gymnastics, and weightlifting - never all at one time.

1955 - Recreation Center Director was hired full-time.

By 1971 many of the above activities had been moved to other locations, so the outlot back of the building was sold to the adjacent Assembly of God Church for $1,025 to be used for parking.

1978 - The Church offered to buy the remainder any time the City decided to dispose of it.

1991 - The Chappell Recreation Center was sold to the First Assembly of God Church for the City Assessor’s land value of $30,800.


  1. Only annotated statements have been verified. Any other historical statements are unverified and based on personal knowledge or informal notes kept by the Green Bay Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department.
Email: webmaster