In 1948, the Supt. of Parks, M. G. Simonds, requested on behalf of the Park Commission, permission to use land owned by the Board of Education to expand a small playground until such time as they needed it for school purposes. This was granted. However, it was later discovered that one lot in the middle of the block was privately owned, and not until October 9, 1950 was a deed signed for $650 after much negotiation and legal hassles. The reason it was so necessary to have this lot was that some facilities had already been put in on that parcel. After the City had made payment, it was discovered that $3.66 was owed back in taxes and after an exchange of many letters and verbal communication, the taxes were paid and an updated abstract obtained. This abstract indicated that this area was part of a large land grant signed by President Andrew Jackson in 1829 and located in the "Territory of Michigan".
1963 - The City purchased Lot 22, Blk. 8 for $1,200.
1967 - An open shelter with restrooms was constructed and between 1962 and 1970, the Breakfast Optimist put in several improvements for Little League, including fencing, dugouts, and a scoreboard.