History of Green Bay's Parks

Baird Place

This public square was deeded to the City by the estate of John J. Astor in 1869 1 and was used as a public burial ground from 1835 to 1868. In 1953, there was some consideration given for moving the Baird law office from downtown to this park, but it later was relocated at Heritage Hill State Park.


1 Transcript of quit claim deed, William B. Astor, John J. Astor [Junior], and executors of the estate of John Jacob Astor to City of Green Bay, dated December 7, 1869; Public square bounded westwardly by Webster St Northwardly by Mason St. Eastwardly by Clay St and Southwardly by Cass St.; Recorded in Green Bay January 8, 1870. The same deed covers Baird Place, Astor Park, and Astor Place (Fire Station No. 1). PRF file, Park Areas: Astor Park.

Only annotated statements have been verified. Any other historical statements are unverified and based on personal knowledge or informal notes kept by the Green Bay Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department.
Last update: May, 2011
Email: webmaster