Named for an early settler, Daniel Whitney, who platted the Village of Navarino between the Fox and East Rivers and set aside three park areas called "commons" in 1829.
The Village of Astor and Village of Navarino joined to become the Borough of Green Bay. In the early days, there was a large bandstand where weekly concerts were held during the summer months. This was torn down in 1942.
1924 - The Board of Park Commissioners gave permission for the Klu Klux Klan to hold a meeting in this park.
1938 - A shelter was constructed with WPA Program. This was replaced in 1964 with bathroom facilities.