On August 1, 1939, the Common Council adopted a resolution after being approved by the Plan and Zoning Commission, to designate an area between Mather Street and Velp Ave. and east of Platten Street as Mather Public Park. This park is now within the boundaries of Richardson, Lark, Thomas Streets and Royal Blvd.
1947 - Property owners in the vicinity petitioned for baseball diamonds.
1952 - A building was moved from the grounds of the old Fort Howard Hospital and used as a temporary shelter.
1953 - The Common Council budgeted $6,000 for a shelter building.
1958-60 - Ald. Atkinson requested a wading pool and tennis courts which were deleted from the budgets each year.
1973 - After matching funds were approved, a wading pool was installed.
1975 - Ald. Ryba requested tennis courts and they were approved.